Sunday, March 4, 2012

Lenten Thoughts week 2

It's been an oddly busy and unmotivated week for me. Mass this morning brought a wonderful sense of joy that I've been lacking of late.

We had the story of the Transfiguration on the mountain for our Gospel today. There is so much I could write about it. How it shows the primacy of Peter in the apostles because Jewish law required two witnesses for things (Peter's testimony required the presence of James and John) . Or, how it shows that apparitions (in the Catholic sense) are Biblical. Or, the more standard themes about preparing to climb the mountain to meet Jesus or God's command to the apostles (and us) to LISTEN to him.

Those are all good and valid comments on the reading, but today I was struck by something Fr. Jorge said about coming down the mountain. We need to remember that while we can certainly experience Jesus in the high time of our lives, the mountaintop times, he is also with us and wanting us to experience him in the low times too. It's so easy for me to get into a deep blue funk and forget that Jesus is with me there too. It may not be the life changing encounter on the mountain, but he is THERE, really present with me in the valleys too.

The mountaintop experiences may change us in dramatic ways, but the encounters with Christ in the valleys of life can be just as powerful in their own quiet way.

Then we sang 'Amen, el Cuerpo de Christo' as our communion song. It's one that really strikes a chord in me.



I'd love to print the lyrics here for you, but I cannot find them available online. You'll have to check your hymnal and see if you can find them. Such a moving song!


And now off to meet Brian and Share for lunch. Beautiful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment