Saturday, January 7, 2012

Mary, Mother of God

One of my resolutions this year is to dig deeper into my faith. Since I have named my blog, "The Catholic Scrapper", I think I should live up to both aspects of that title!

So, hopefully weekly...definitely periodically, I will be posting my thoughts on the readings from Mass, the Bible Study I currently doing, and other such stuff as crosses my mind.

Last Sunday we celebrated the feast of Mary, Mother of God.

I remember when Mom was visiting us in Maryland and we all went to the John Paul II Cultural Center in Washington DC. There was an exhibit at the time of art on the theme of Mary, Mother of God. I was concerned that Mom would have some of the 'typical protestant' objections to that title, but I was wrong. She understood that Mary's title of Mother of God was a reflection of who Jesus is, not putting Mary up as part of the Trinity.

This year, during the readings I was reminded of another way we can see Mary as our mother as well.

The second reading, from Galatians 4:4-7

When the fullness of time had come, God sent his Son,
born of a woman, born under the law,
to ransom those under the law,
so that we might receive adoption as sons.
As proof that you are sons,
God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts,
crying out, "Abba, Father!"
So you are no longer a slave but a son,
and if a son then also an heir, through God.

This passage talks about us, being adopted as sons of God, and the proof of that is the Holy Spirit in our hearts. But the passage starts with talking about God sending His Son, born of a woman.

It ties together so nicely the themes of adoption, heirs, and our Mother. Heirs to the Kingdom of God, and children of Mary as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment