Sunday, January 29, 2012

St. Thomas Aquinas

Well, that didn't take long! I didn't even make it through January before I forgot to post my thoughts from Mass! :)

BUT, rather than just giving up entirely (which is my usual modus operandi), I'll play a bit of catch up here, back dating it, and move forward.

January 29th was the feast of St. Thomas Aquinas, patron saint of my Church, and patron saint of students everywhere. I know just the basics of this saint, I've been fearful of learning more because I know that there is soooo much depth to what this Doctor of the Church has written. I found this bit interesting-
(from the Catholic Encyclopedia)
It is not surprising to read in the biographies of St. Thomas that he was frequently abstracted and in ecstasy. Towards the end of his life the ecstasies became more frequent. On one occasion, at Naples in 1273, after he had completed his treatise on the Eucharist, three of the brethren saw him lifted in ecstasy, and they heard a voice proceeding from the crucifix on the altar, saying "Thou hast written well of me, Thomas; what reward wilt thou have?" Thomas replied, "None other than Thyself, Lord" (Prümmer, op. cit., p. 38). Similar declarations are said to have been made at Orvieto and at Paris.
On 6 December, 1273, he laid aside his pen and would write no more. That day he experienced an unusually long ecstasy during Mass; what was revealed to him we can only surmise from his reply to Father Reginald, who urged him to continue his writings: "I can do no more. Such secrets have been revealed to me that all I have written now appears to be of little value" (modica, Prümmer, op. cit., p. 43).

All that he had written, all that is still being 'unpacked' and learned generation after generation, and it was like dust to him. The mysteries revealed, and the ones left for us to ponder.

No comments:

Post a Comment